- One in six American women are victims of sexual assault.
- Forty four percent of rape victims are under 18 and eighty percent under age 30.
- Twenty-nine percent of all forcible rapes occurred when the victim was less than 11 years old and eleven percent of rape victims are raped by their fathers or step-fathers.
- The rampant raping of women in the Democratic Republic of Congo has become an everyday practice and is used as a weapon of war. Almost 5,400 cases of rape against women were reported in the South Kivu province during the first six months of the year and 90 per cent of these rapes are allegedly committed by armed groups.
- On average approximately one thousand three hundred women can be expected to be raped everyday in South Africa; that’s every 17 seconds, which does not include the number of child rape victims.
- The National College Women Sexual Victimization Study estimated that between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experience completed or attempted rape during their college years
TRAFFICKING AND SEXUAL SLAVERY
- An estimated 50,000 women and children are trafficked into the United States annGually for sexual exploitation or forced labor.
- A study in Zaria, Nigeria found that 16 percent of hospital patients treated for sexually transmitted infections were younger than 5.
- At least 60 million girls who would otherwise be expected to be alive are “missing” from various populations, mostly in Asia, as a result of sex-selective abortions, infanticide or neglect.
- Japan is one of the top countries where women are forced into sexual slavery.
- The International Federation of Human Rights says that 75,000 Brazilian women are being forced to work as prostitutes within the European Union.
FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION
- An estimated 100 to 200 million girls and women globally have undergone Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting, and more than 3 million girls are at risk for cutting each year and on the African continent alone.
HIV AND WOMEN
- Around the world, women now make up more than half of all people living with HIV and AIDS is the leading cause of death for Black women.
- One in four women will experience domestic violence during her lifetime.
- On average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends in this country every day.
- In the last 20 years, over 12 million women in the U.S. have undergone a hysterectomy. Ninety percent of all hysterectomies done in the U.S. are medically unnecessary. Three point five to seven point three million performed in the U. S. alone simple for the treatment of uterine fibroids.